The group was established in 2001 to oversee the development and evaluate the output of a national diabetes survey. The purpose of the survey is to improve patient care by encouraging better monitoring of diabetic patients against the St Vincent targets and to support and encourage implementation of best practice.
Aims and objectives
· Monitor and provide advice on the establishment and development of the Scottish Diabetes Survey, and to comment on the quality of the data and the systems used by Health Boards to provide the data.
· Ensure that data submitted for inclusion in the national diabetes register conforms to all data protection and data security requirements
· Evaluate, on the basis of the Scottish Diabetes Survey, the progress of Health Boards in delivering diabetes services to their population and monitor Scotland’s performance in meeting the St Vincent Declaration targets.
· Report to the Chief Medical Officer
The group is about to receive the data for the 2010 survey and will be preparing the report for publication in the spring of 2011. Data has been collected from the 14 Health Boards and is undergoing analysis.Survey Monitoring Group is supporting work being undertaken by the Scottish Diabetes Research Network to improve validity of the data. Future data items for the survey are being identified.
· Identify specific uses for the data to ensure the data is used for service improvement
· Include the reporting of attendance at structured education sessions
· Use the data to link with prescribing data· Improve recording of data on foot ulceration
· Undertake analysis by deprivation
Dr John McKnight, Consultant Physician and Chair
Dr Louise Bath, Consultant Paediatrician
Dr Corri Black, Public Health Consultant
Mr Mike Black, Retinal Screening Collaborative coordinator
Ms Bonnie Crichton, Executive Assistant
Mr Scott Cunningham, SCI-DC Technical Consultant
Dr Helen Colhoun, Professor in Public Health
Dr Colin Fischbacher, Consultant in Public Health Medicine
Dr Mark Houliston, MCN Lead Clinician
Mr Ritchie McAlpine, SCI-DC Data Facilitator
Mr Erwin Oosterhoorn, SCI-DC
Dr Norman Peden, Diabetes Consultant
Jane-Claire Judson (Diabetes UK)
Dr Bill Simpson, Consultant Clinical Biochemist
Dr Norman Waugh, Consultant in Public Health
Dr Sarah Wild, Senior Lecturer in Public Health